- Enter to WIN a GiGi New York All In One Clutch!
- Use code: LUXYHAUTEOFFTHERACK for $5 off your first set of extensions!
- Shop Wedding Guest Dresses & Accessories!
- Shop Spring Cocktail Dresses!
- Shop Spring Must-Haves
- Shop My Shoes!
- Haute Off The Rack’s Top Viewed Posts:
- Shop The Jenn Bucket Bag!
- The Tie-Dye Swim Coverup of the Season!
- Shop My Shoes & Accessories
- 6 Shoes You Need Right Now!
- My Perfect Date Night at Ox Lot 9
- Part 1 of My Stay at the Le Meridien New Orleans with The Glitter Guide
- Recently On Haute Off The Rack
- The Cutest Matching Separates for Spring!
- GiGi New York Trunk Show at Brothers on the BLVD + a Giveaway!
- Lace & Boho Vibes
- Mrs. Fancy Pants: How to Wear Palazzo Pants
- Shop My Top Handbag Picks from the Henri Bendel Sale!
- New Orleans Jazz Fest Style + A Giveaway!
- Shop My Picks from the Shopbop Friends and Family Sale!
- Spring Break Essentials + Travel Accessories
- The Perfect Little Easter Dress
- The Cutest & Comfiest Striped Pajamas!
Monthly Archives: June 2012
Photos by: Max Zoghbi
This is incredibly simple, cheap, AND awesomely patriotic. So here we go!
What you’ll need:
- Jean shorts you wish you wore more often (or you can buy some jeans from Goodwill for $4 and cut them!)
- Three bottles of acrylic craft paint (I used Americana from Hobby Lobby, $.99 each. I went with more of a dark red and navy instead of primaries but that’s up to you!)
- Paintbrush (I used an inch wide regular art paintbrush I had lying around)
- Star stencil (I used a piece of cardstock, drew a star (chinese star will work!), and then cut it out with an exacto knife on a wooden cutting board, or you can just buy one from hobby lobby)
- (Optional) Foam letter stamps from hobby lobby ($2.99). Any stamp or stencil will work!
- I started with the stripes on the right side. I chose not to use tape because I was aiming for a semi messy look. So paint vertical lines of red, avoiding the pockets. Then paint the white stripes in between. While messy is cute, you still want to keep the width of the stripes pretty consistent.
- Next, I took the star stencil & placed it close to the bottom of the shorts. I then painted white inside the star starting at the center and working into the points and quickly found out this didn’t work. The paint leaked under the stencil a little bit and I had to end up going back and reshaping the blob into a star. I suggest starting at the points of the star painting inward to the center to avoid the paint getting trapped under the stencil. A light layer is best. You can always go back and add more white. I actually ended up liking the stars with less paint best.
- Continue painting the stars, moving the stencil along to the right. It’s ok if your stencil is on top of the previous star. It’s ok if the stars aren’t exactly lined up. Once you have a row, start working your way up the shorts placing the stencil directly between the tops of two stars of the previous row.
- Once you are out of room to put stars, go back and add just tips of the stars to the edges. This really makes a huge difference! Imagine the stars continuing in line and place the stencil accordingly.
- Now carefully paint the blue around the stars.
- If you have a tiny pocket, go ahead and paint that opposite of the design on the current side.
- Let the front dry. I used a blow dryer to speed up the process.
- For the back, follow the same procedure. Blow dry. Then stamp “USA” on the striped side (Optional)
UPDATE: Here is the photo of the shorts after I ran them through the wash on Cold/Delicate and laid flat to dry.
A big thank you to Heather Chauvin of Tealou & Sweetpea for guest blogging on Haute Off The Rack and sharing how to make these fun and patriotic shorts. If you love Heather’s fun and innovative ideas, make sure to visit her at Tealou & Sweetpea.
Have a wonderful weekend!
Good Morning readers! In case you haven’t noticed in previous posts, I am a huge fan of leather! I’m especially obsessed with these Boutique 9 leather fringe peep-toe booties! Those of you who live in the South like me probably think I’m crazy for promoting leather items while it’s 100 degrees outside. However, eventually the temperature will drop some and that’s when these leather pieces will come in handy. I think that by simply adding a touch of leather to your summer wardrobe gives your outfits a chic and edgy look. Plus, donning a leather jacket or vest is the perfect way to wear your sun dresses and bright-colored tops well into the Fall.
Back to the Boutique 9 booties from Nine West, if you purchase a pair of shoes from Nine West right now you get 50% OFF of the second pair of equal or lesser value! Just click the ad below to shop!
P.S. Here is a sneak peek of a future outfit post! Also, follow me on Instagram @Jennifarrr for updates on the upcoming giveaway!
Good Morning readers! This past Sunday I attended the NOLA Fashion Council Baubles & Bloggers Brunch with Brighton Keller (Brighton The Day), her friend Allison and my best friend Jessica. We had such a great time catching up while enjoying 25 cent mimosas and delicious brunch at Saint Marie. We also got to meet each one of the featured designers as well as other local Baton Rouge Bloggers and even the special guest bloggers from New York like Brooklyn Blonde, My Style Pill, Saucy Glossie, East Sleep Wear and Keikolynn.
Above: Jessica, me, Brighton & Allison
Outfit: Silk V-neck tank (Thank you to Amanda Uprichard), BCBG Power Bandage skirt in Aqua (Thank you to Femme Fatale), Young Yo Yo Yeung white blazer (Thank you to Park Lane), Nude pointed toe pumps (Boutique 9)
P.S. Make sure to take advantage of the Friends & Family sale at Max & Chloe! Promotion ends 6.27.12, just enter code: FF0612 at checkout to receive 20% OFF your purchase! Click the ad below to shop!
Have a great day!
Photo 1 by: Stewart R. Sheilds Photo 2 by: Max Zoghbi
Hello readers, I hope you all had a wonderful weekend and congratulations to Abbey Brandon!! Thank you all to everyone who supported Izavel by voting and entering the two day Flash Giveaway. I’m thrilled to announce that Isabel Varela, the designer of Izavel reached her goal amount of votes, and is extremely appreciative of all your help! Of course you know that I wish you all could win this amazing vest, but no worries there are plenty more giveaways to come on Haute Off The Rack. I really enjoy hosting giveaways because I love helping designers and store owners promote their business. Plus it allows me to gift my wonderful readers with some really great clothes and accessories! Just to give you a heads up I’ll be hosting future giveaways with The Villa, H-boutique and Amanda Uprichard. I’ll keep you posted if any others pop up! Don’t forget to follow me on Instagram @Jennifarrr for exclusive first looks at Haute Off The Rack giveaways!
Below is sneak peek of my Baubles and Bloggers Brunch post!
Me and Brighton Keller from Brighton The Day!
I wore Amanda Uprichard & Saint Claude from The Villa!
Why can’t we have 25 cent mimosas everyday!!